Contact Info

  • Do you want to sponsor your family members to immigrate to Canada?

Spousal/Partner or Child Sponsorship

Canadian citizens or permanent residents can sponsor their spouse, common-law partner and child for Canadian permanent residence.

In order to successfully go through the sponsorship process, you must meet certain requirements. You will not be able to sponsor if you

  • Were sponsored by a spouse or partner and became a Permanent Resident less than five years ago
  • Were sponsored by a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a Permanent Resident
  • Are in default of a previous sponsorship undertaking
  • Are in the process of a bankruptcy proceeding
  • Receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability
  • Were convicted of a violent or sexual offence or are in jail
  • Are under a removal order
  • Have already applied to sponsor your current spouse, partner or child and a decision has not yet been made

Two categories for spousal or partner sponsorship applications:

Outland sponsorship application

For spouses or partners living outside of Canada. Under this category, spouses can still be living in Canada with valid status, and travel in and out through the application process. However, it will be at discretion of the Port of Entry officer to allow re-entry.

IRCC aims to process Outland and Inland applications submitted within 12 months.

In-land sponsorship application

For a spouse or partner who is living in Canada. Applicants under this category may also be eligible to apply for a work permit when the sponsorship application is filed.

After Sponsorship

Sponsored spouses who have no children with their sponsor and who have been in a relationship with their sponsor for two years or less at the time of the application are required to live together in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for a period of at least 24 months from the day they become permanent residents. The conditional permanent residence period pertains to applications that were received on or subsequent to October 25th 2012.

For more information on how to sponsor your family members, please contact us.