Contact Info

  • Do you want to study in Canada and become a
    Permanent Resident after graduation?


The current Canadian immigration system has several programs in place to give international students the opportunity of transitioning to Permanent Residence.

International students have also a variety of work options while studying in Canada.  This give them the advantage of earning funds to support their studies,  gaining local language skills, local work experience and local networks. Available work authorizations include, off campus work permits, open work permits for accompanying spouses, and a Post-Graduation work permit after graduation.

Students who become temporary workers in Canada have two options to transition to Permanent Residence.  The two main options are Express Entry (Canadian Experience Class) and Provincial Nominee Programs.

Canadian Experience Class – Express Entry

Students with a Post-Graduation Work Permit are generally able to obtain the necessary one-year skilled work experience to qualify under the Canadian Experience Class. However, At the Express Entry level is often difficult for students to obtain a competitive score in order to receive a letter of invitation to apply. It is advisable to seek an employer willing to provide a Labour Market Impact Assessment (“LMIA”).

Provincial Nominee Programs

The Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) allow students who have obtained an offer of employment from a Canadian employer to apply for permanent residence through their Provincial Nominee categories. In many of these programs, previous work experience is not necessary to obtain permanent residence status, as long as they obtain a permanent job offer after graduation.

The provinces that have an international student class within their provincial program are: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland.


International Student Working Graduates in Manitoba

Only graduates of Manitoba post-secondary educational institutions are considered under this Program. Students are eligible if a Manitoba employer offers you a long-term job following at least six months of continuous full-time employment on a valid post-graduation work permit.


  • You attended an authorized education or training program at a public, or registered private vocational, post-secondary institution in Manitoba. (Language programs are specifically excluded.)
  • Your academic/vocational program was full-time and at least one academic year in duration.
  • You successfully completed your program and were awarded a diploma, degree or certificate.
  • You have been continuously working at least six months for the same employer who has offered you a permanent (long-term) full-time job.
  • You have a valid post-graduation work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • Your connection to Manitoba through employment is stronger than ties you may have to another Canadian province.
  • You demonstrate in a Settlement Plan your intention and plan to live, work and establish your work and family life in Manitoba as a permanent resident.
  • You have all qualifications and the English or French language proficiency to fulfill the duties of your job. Minimum language for lower-skilled occupations If your job is classified as lower skilled (NOC C or D) you must submit in MPNP Online results of an MPNP-approved language test demonstrating official language proficiency at CLB 4 (NCLC 4, French) or higher in all test categories according to the MPNP’s CLB Language Grid. NOC C and D jobs include lower-skilled workers in the trades, primary and manufacturing industries, sales and services, and certain clerical and assistant categories.