On June 8, 2018, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (“IRCC”) has announced the Student Direct Stream for Student applying from China, India, Vietnam and Philippines.
With the introduction of this new program, the Government intends to unify separate programs that has existed in these countries in the past, in order to ensure consistency and assist students to start their study pathway sooner.
In order to be eligible for the Student Direct Stream, potential students need to meet the following requirements:
- Obtain a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution;
- Provide proof of tuition payment for the first year of study;
- Purchase a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000,
- Completion of Medical Examination; and
- An IELTS score of at least 6 for English, or a TEF of 7 for French, or graduation from a Canadian High School.
Students who do not meet some of these requirements, can still apply through the regular student program.
IRCC has also announced that they intend to expand the program in 2019, to African countries such as Kenya and Senegal.
Students coming through the Student Direct Stream will also be in a position to apply for a post-graduation work permit upon completing their program of studies and transitioning to Permanent Residence through the Express Entry System or any of the Provincial Nominee Programs.