Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada Updates
1) Border Restrictions with the United States have been extended until the end of August.
2) Individuals applying for a study permit or work permit from within Canada are exempt from biometrics.
3) Individuals who are applying for study permits and have to start the year remotely can be accommodated by a temporary mechanism. It can turn into a regular study permit when they have to attend school physically.
4) Visitors, Students and Workers whose status expired after January 30, 2020, will have until December 31, 2020, to apply to restore their status, if they meet the requirements. In addition, former work-permit holders can apply for an employer-specific work permit to work while a decision on their restoration application is pending. This only applies in certain circumstances.
5) The interpretation of “parent” for the purposes of determining citizenship by descent under the Citizenship Act now includes children born abroad in the first generation who have a legal parent–child relationship at birth, but no biological link to the Canadian parent.